Sunday, February 21, 2016

One of My Favorites


Out of the short stories I have read in this class so far, "The Yellow Wallpaper" is my favorite.

It's not that I didn't like the other stories. I enjoyed "The Outcasts of Poker Flat", "The 'Cadian Ball" and "An Occurrence at Owl Creek". I reread Huck Finn and I liked reading "The Red Badge of Courage", but "The Yellow Wallpaper" was my favorite out of all of those.

The idea of the story is what I liked the most about it. I never did get into reading about adventure or stories about love and adultery. I like suspense. I like it when a story turns out to be darker than it appears. Something with a twisted, or sinister intention in the tale really makes me want to read more. Suspense and horror being my genre of choice, I've read books by Stephen King and also some of Edgar Allen Poe's work ("The Masque of the Red Death" is my favorite of his) and reading "Goosebumps" when I was a kid was great too.

"The Yellow Wallpaper" was the short story for me. It left me wondering at the end of the story: Was the house haunted? Was she really sick or did something in the house possess her? Was it all just in her head? What happened after she left the room at the end? (cliffhangers). As the story progressed, it just got creepier and creepier. I definitely didn't expect that from the title. "The Yellow Wallpaper" is my favorite so far because it appealed to me more than the other stories did.  

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could say that this is one of my favorite stories. I really do. You might take a look at the Pods of Thought #11 blog for my post about this short story. I am happy that others enjoy it. Maybe one day I will too!

    ReplyDelete